Seymour Criminal Defense Attorneys
Fighting for the rights of the accused in East Tennessee
A criminal conviction can change your life. Convictions for adults usually stay on their record for their entire life. Convictions can mean substantial loss of liberty, loss of the ability to earn a living, and huge penalties and fines. Second and third offenses often mean long jail sentences and even larger penalties and fines. An experienced Seymour criminal defense lawyer can provide assistance from the time of the arrest through the jury trial and appeals.
At Delius & McKenzie, PLLC, we have the experience and resources to help defendants charged with most Tennessee criminal charges. Our attorneys Bryan E. Delius and Bryce W. McKenzie are both members of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. They have been helping the accused for more than 20 years. They have the experience and skill to fight to get dismissal of all your charges or work to get a plea arrangement that significantly reduces the severity of the charges.
Types of federal and state cases our firm handles
Our dedicated attorneys work aggressively to show that our clients are innocent or that there is a reasonable doubt. Some of the criminal defense cases we handle are:
- Capital murder. These are cases where a defendant can get the death penalty if a jury convicts the defendant of committing a murder. The seriousness of the penalties means that these charges require tenacious lawyers who leave no stone unturned. We challenge each piece of evidence that is detrimental to your case. We are adept at cross-examining the police and witnesses. Our legal team fights to get defendants acquitted when wrongfully accused.
- Felonies. Felonies are the more serious crimes. Examples of felonies include murder, kidnapping, and crimes with a weapon. Some crimes that would otherwise be misdemeanors become felonies if violence was used. Sometimes, when an acquittal is not realistic, we try to reduce felonies to misdemeanors to help reduce the likelihood or severity of jail time.
- Misdemeanors. While less severe than felonies, convictions of this level of crime can still be life altering. Many misdemeanor convictions will result in prison time and significant fines. Our goal is to eliminate or reduce the charges against you.
- Drug offenses. The penalties for drug charges depend on the type and the amount of the drug. Selling or intending to sell drugs is generally considered more severe than possessing the drug. Sales to minors or near schools can increase the penalties. The burden is on the prosecution to prove its case. Our Seymour criminal defense lawyers often contest the seizure of the drugs as unconstitutional.
- DUI/DWI. Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious offense that carries stiff penalties, especially if someone was injured in a vehicle crash. Offenses on federal roads are generally brought in federal court while offenses on state roads are brought in Tennessee courts. Our lawyers often challenge the propriety of the stop and the chemical test or field sobriety tests that police officers use.
- Theft offenses. Theft is a punishable offense in both federal and state court. The value of the items taken often determines whether the charge is a felony or a misdemeanor. Theft is not just limited to taking cash or tangible items. It can include identity theft, theft of services by failing to pay, and more. If you have been accused of a theft crime in Tennessee, our attorneys can help.
- White-collar crimes. These crimes are so named because people who are well educated often commit them. They require a certain amount of sophistication to commit. Examples of white-collar crimes include embezzlement and RICO crimes. These crimes are usually for money, as opposed to crimes of violence. We defend individuals and organizations accused of these serious crimes.
Our Seymour criminal defense attorneys represent clients who have been accused of federal and state crimes. Many attorneys refer cases to our firm because of our reputation for success, our experience in fighting prosecutions, and our resources that allow us to investigate and assert all possible defenses. Criminal defendants should understand that the prosecution must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Related resources on criminal defense
Misdemeanor Charges in Tennessee
Understanding the Charge of Criminal Homicide in Tennessee
Get the Seymour, Tennessee criminal defense help you need today
At Delius & McKenzie, PLLC, our Seymour criminal defense attorneys are ready to calm your fears so you can focus on fighting criminal charges. We guide clients and their families through the criminal court process. If you or a loved one was charged with a criminal offense in state or federal court, our legal team is ready to help. Please call us now at 865-428-8780 or complete our contact form. We represent defendants in Seymour and throughout Tennessee.