If you’ve suffered injury due to the negligence or carelessness of another, you shouldn’t have to deal with the consequences on your own. You may have medical bills, or have to take time off work to heal from your injuries. It’s not fair for you to handle this financial burden when someone else has caused your suffering. You may want to file a personal injury claim, which means you’ll need an attorney. And having the right lawyer for your case can make all the difference in the outcome of your claim.
You shouldn’t hire just any “all purpose” law firm for your case. Look for a personal injury attorney experienced in your type of claim. Check out the following five tips to help find the best lawyer for your needs.
- Take the time to do your research. Attorneys offer free consultations, so take some time and meet with a few lawyers. Ask your friends and family if they have recommendations for a personal injury lawyer. Use the internet to find highly-rated attorneys who specialize in cases like yours. You can read their profiles online to find out how many years they’ve been in practice, see their awards and certifications, memberships in associations, client testimonials, and settlement track records. At Delius & McKenzie, we have decades of experience with personal injury matters, and, as a result, we have handled a vast array of issues that are likely similar to the situation you are facing.
- Make sure you feel a connection. See how you feel after you meet with potential lawyers. Did you feel comfortable with them? Did they seem focused on you and your case? Did you feel like you could trust them? And, did you feel like you were treated with respect and that your case is important? At Delius & McKenzie, you will find that our lawyers and staff are committed to providing your case with the attention it deserves.
- Ask who will actually be working on your case. With many large firms, you might meet with one lawyer, but then your case will be handed down to a newer associate or paralegal. Your case should get the personal and detailed attention it deserves, so make sure you find out exactly who will be working on your case and know that you’re comfortable with them. At Delius & McKenzie, you will always be meeting with a lawyer directly responsible for your case.
- Your potential personal injury lawyer should be able to answer a few questions. If you can’t find the answers online, here’s what you should ask: How long have you been practicing law? How much of your business is handling personal injury cases? Who will be dealing with the day-to-day matters of my case, and who will answer my questions? What are your feelings about settling a case versus going to trial? We can answer all these questions at Delius & McKenzie.
- Discuss the attorney’s possible plan for your case. Even at a first meeting, a skilled lawyer should have some sort of action plan. They may talk about interviewing witnesses, documenting property damage or injuries, or filing important and necessary forms. Your attorney should be engaged in your case right from the outset.
Choosing the right personal injury attorney for your situation can go a long way in securing the compensation you deserve for your accident. Ensure you feel comfortable with your lawyer—with their experience, personality, and staff, and don’t hesitate to take the time to find the right fit.
Here at Delius & McKenzie, PLLC, we put our clients first. If you’ve been injured in an accident, our Sevierville personal injury attorneys dedicate themselves to helping you get what you’re owed. Call us at (865) 428-8780 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation today. We proudly serve clients in Sevierville, Seymour, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge.